When it comes to breakfast foods, I am usually more about savoury foods than sweet ones. Everything bagels are one of my go-to breakfast picks despite how unhealthy they can be. While these muffins are still not the most nutritious breakfast, they don’t have all the additives of an everything bagel, making them a better choice in my opinion. They taste great and are easy to make. I, of course, opted to make them vegan but you could easily substitute the flaxseed egg for a real one if you prefer.
Here is how I made them:
Vegan Everything Bagel Inspired Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine your ground flaxseed and water to make your vegan egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter and cashew milk.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and onion powder, stirring until just combined.
- Add in the vegan egg and mix until just combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly into 9 of the muffin cups.
- Top each muffin with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and sea salt. Make sure to press the seeds and salt into the muffins so that they stick.
- Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes and let cool before serving.
These muffins come together quickly and don’t need to bake for long. They make a great on the go breakfast or snack and taste just as good as an everything bagel! I like to serve them warmed up with a little vegan butter, but they’re great on their own too. And, at 160 calories per muffin, they are far less caloric than a bagel!
Do you love everything bagels too? Let me know in a comment down below if you’re going to try these muffins!