When we spent the weekend in the county for Sam’s birthday I had the most delicious portobello mushroom pasta dinner that I was eager to try and recreate at home. It took me a few tries but I feel like I’ve pretty much nailed it!
This pasta recipe is a bit lighter, which is perfect for this time of year. It’s a great weeknight dinner as it’s quick to make and tastes really fresh; but the portobello mushrooms give it that heartiness I crave after a long day! Plus it happens to be vegan/vegetarian, so it’s a great option if you yourself eat plant based or are having dinner guests who are.
Here is how I make it:
Portobello Mushroom Pasta
- 4 tbsp olive oil I like using the Tuscan Herb infused olive oil from the Kingston Olive Oil Company, but you can use any olive oil you like
- 1 454g box fettuccine noodles
- 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp dried basil
- 1 handful spinach
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 of the tablespoons of oil over medium-low heat. Add in the sliced portobello mushrooms and season them with the salt, pepper, and 1 tsp each of the garlic powder and basil. Cook for 5-10 minutes, flipping occasionally.
- When the mushrooms are just about done, add in the handful of spinach and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- When the pasta is done cooking, toss the noodles in the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, and 2 teaspoons of basil until well combined.
- Divide the pasta onto 4 dishes and top with the mushrooms, spinach, and sliced tomato.
I am seriously obsessed with this recipe and foresee myself making it a lot this summer! It’s so easy to prepare and tastes like it came from a restaurant. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or are looking to impress guests, this super fresh recipe will do just that! I use a locally made olive oil from The Kingston Olive Oil Company to give the dish some extra flavour, but it’s not essential for this recipe to taste great.
I hope you decide to give this recipe a try and enjoy it much as I do!