Winter always has me craving comfort foods and this take on the classic macaroni and cheese is to die for! As a kid I hated macaroni and cheese. It was one of my least favourite meals, which is strange considering how much I love it now. It’s definitely something I try to reserve for a cheat night though, because this recipe is very decadent!
This jalapeno macaroni and cheese can easily be made ahead and kept in the fridge for a few days until you’re ready to bake it. Alternatively, you can opt to not put it in the oven for an even creamier result! I personally prefer to bake it as it still stays creamy but also has a slight crispiness to the top.
Here is the recipe:
Jalapeno Macaroni and Cheese
- 3.5 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk I used 2% but you can use whatever you like
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups shredded jalapeno cheese
- Cook the macaroni according to package.
- While it's cooking, in a pot large enough to hold the cooked macaroni, melt the butter.
- Once it's melted, stir in the flour for 1-2 minutes before adding in the milk.
- Whisk the mixture to remove any lumps from the flour. Then, cook on medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble.
- Stir in the cheese and whisk until the sauce becomes smooth. Then, remove from heat.
- Stir in the pasta until well mixed.
- Put pasta in a greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
If you’re looking for a warm, comforting dish this month, you’re going to love this recipe! It’s creamy and the jalapeno cheese brings just the right amount of heat. It has become a huge hit in my home and is super easy when we have guests for dinner too! This recipe also reheats better than any other macaroni and cheese I’ve ever tried. It doesn’t lose its creaminess and tastes just as great days later as it does the night I make it!
Do you like macaroni and cheese? Let me know if you decide to try this recipe and what you think of it!