I love Freshii. I discovered it a little over a year ago now and was immediately obsessed. They have fresh, healthy options that taste amazing! I have a soy intolerance, so finding quick meals on the go can be a challenge for me; but I actually have lots of options there, which is a nice change. My recent favourite has been their “Pangoa Bowl”, which is easy enough to recreate at home!
I made a few changes to suit what I had in my kitchen, but the result was so similar and has become a new go-to recipe for me!
The Freshii version has brown rice, avocado, cherry tomatoes, aged cheddar cheese, black beans, corn, cilantro, a lime wedge, and is topped with their fiery barbecue sauce. I opted to use quinoa for my base as it’s what I had on hand and left out the avocado and lime wedge because I didn’t want to make a trip to the store. For my barbecue sauce, I just used Bullseye Original which is a favourite of mine. I think I preferred this too as the Freshii barbecue sauce is seriously spicy!
Here is my recipe, though you could easily swap out the quinoa for rice and choose your favourite barbecue sauce! The recipe makes three generous sized bowls or 4 regular bowls.
Freshii-Inspired Pangoa Bowl
- 1 box quinoa
- 8 ounces black beans
- 1.5 cups corn
- 6 cherry tomatoes for each bowl
- 3 tsp dried cilantro you can use fresh if you prefer
- 1 cup aged cheddar, shredded
- barbecue sauce, to drizzle
- Cook the corn and quinoa according to their packages.
- Once everything is done cooking, assemble your bowls by evenly dividing up the quinoa, corn, and black beans.
- Add 6 cherry tomatoes to each bowl as well as about a 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle with dried cilantro and barbecue sauce.
These bowls are quick to make and are perfect if you like to prep your lunches for the week, as they stay fresh in the fridge for days! If you’re looking for a nutritious yet filling lunch, you have to give this a try!
Have you eaten at Freshii before? If so, what is your favourite thing on the menu?